Monday, June 27, 2011

Project

So I finally got around to starting a long awaiting project this weekend. It all started about two years ago...when I received two surf rods that weren't in the greatest of shape. Most of the guides had been busted and the poles needed to be given new life! Here is a picture one of the Rods.  These poles had belonged to a late surf fisherman, who had fished many years with my late grandfather, dad and late uncle back in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. My late uncle was the one who somehow obtained these rods and gave them to me to rebuild.  Yes, I am faced with the regret that I didn't get these poles done before my uncle passed, and that is something I will live with. You just never know when the day will be your last.

Both of the honey colored blanks had been setup to be used with conventional reels with one being 12'4" and the other slightly shorter at 11'4". My guess is that the blanks are old Lamiglas blanks, but because there is no identification on the blanks, there is no real way to know.

The original plan was to build them exactly as they were when I got them, with the same (new) guides, guide spacing and even thread color. Well after a short visit from my parents yesterday..the plans have changed. I'm now going to make them both 11' spinning surf poles. My moms thread color choice ended up being metallic pink and metallic teal. My dads thread color choice ended up being metallic royal blue and metallic red. I'm going to wrap the butts with cork tape, and install removable reel seats along with a nice butt wrap using the respective colors. I'm also going to do a nice Chevron butt wrap with a Red Drum decal and will scribe "In memory of Roland Wainwright" in the butt wrap section of the blank as well.

I'm really excited to start making progress on these blanks, and will post pictures of the progress as it happens.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment